Sunday, September 5, 2010

EDITED: Monetary Authority of Singapore

For the less hardworking people:

The department I am interested in is the Capital Markets Intermediaries Department. The department is responsible for the supervision of capital market intermediaries - including broker-dealers, fund managers, corporate finance advisors, financial advisors, insurance brokers and trust companies. People who are motivated, independent, and work well in a team are preferred. Other traits include confidence, analytical and strong interpersonal skills when dealing with demanding and challenging situations. The ability to work at the conceptual and operational levels is necessary to be an effective regulator.

MAS does not have a preference for certain disciplines, this is to build a diverse workforce that is multidisciplinary in nature. Applicants must have a genuine interest to build a career in MAS, and the applicant's adaptability, motivation and the training at MAS allow applicants to contribute positively to the organisation.
$W?h0w$
_____________________________________________________________________

25 Prince George’s Park,
Residence 6, Block 30,
#07-05 S(118424)
kohwyhow@nus.edu.sg
+(65)84209460

2 September 2010

Human Resource Department,
Monetary Authority of Singapore,
10 Shenton Way, MAS Building,
Singapore 079117

Dear Sir/Madam,

Graduate Officer Programme

I am writing in response to the Graduate Officer Programme recruitment, which I came across on the MAS website. I have recently graduated with a BSc (Hons) Science with Mathematics.

From my enclosed CV, I have led sponsorship committees which require me to negotiate with corporate organisations to raise funds for school events, ranging from sports competitions to environmental campaigns. This experience has given me some exposure in working as a team, negotiating and leadership skills. As a result, I was elected the Marketing Executive of the 31st Sports Club Management Committee. My responsibility was to lead all marketing committees in 26 member clubs, and to avoid any conflicts of interest from taking place in any Sports Club events. I hope to enrich my experience regarding teamwork and leadership while working in MAS.

My most recent commitment, Sponsorship Director of ASEANpreneurs 2010, has allowed me to negotiate with foreign companies in South-East Asia for monetary sponsorship for our programme. The main objective of ASEANpreneurs was to promote entrepreneurship within ASEAN by exchange trips, conferences and competitions. ASEANpreneurs was different compared to my other CCAs as I had to analyse the background of private companies, then negotiate with foreign companies in return for region wide networking opportunities. I am strongly motivated by variety in my work, to motivate and challenge myself. I believe that MAS has varied opportunities for professional growth via job rotations, which I hope I can be part of.

Other than studying mathematics, I had the privilege of being part of the NUS Overseas College Programme in Bio Valley. I have no qualms about stepping into uncharted waters, & I hope to contribute to building a diverse and multidisciplinary workforce, which is one of the aims of MAS. The NOC programme has allowed me to learn to work in a fast paced environment, without compromising standards. The programme allowed me to study while interning at a start-up company, and this was different compared to the lectures on campus, as I have the exposure to a working environment and improved my soft skills, which I am also keen to improve while working in MAS.

With MAS, I would like to extend my knowledge and experience by joining the Capital Markets Department. I wish to apply the skills that I have, coupled with the training provided by MAS, in regulating corporate fundraising, takeovers and mergers. Other than that, I wish to gain experience in promoting the financial development of Singapore. I am driven to do my best in all my responsibilities, and willing to learn to work in new environments. This is what I hope I am able to contribute to MAS.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Koh Wyhow

8 comments:

  1. Hi Wyhow,

    A quite impressive letter you've got there mainly because you seem to tick all of MAS's desirable traits of a potential employee through your participation in various events and programmes. Looks good 7 C's wise too. A possible area of improvement would be to share your understanding of the job exactly i.e the Capital Markets Intermediaries Department. Another would be to thank the reader for reviewing your application in the closing just for courtesy sake. Can't see any other glaring points to comment on besides that. Great application!!

    If only there was a like button for comments such as that on top...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wyhow,

    A wonderful application letter! All the things written are perfectly matched to the job requirement. You have set a good example for all of us :)

    If I am picky, then the only improvement that can make your application letter perfect is that you can also write to show your analytical skills. You can talk a bit about your academic stuff to convince your future employer more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wyhow,

    Your application letter possesses so many good qualities and really promotes you as the ideal candidate for this position.

    Honestly, if I were in HR with MAS, I'd waste no time at all in calling you in for an interview. Your vast experiences in the related fields, and your evident leadership and team-work skills, are more than enough to seal the deal.

    There are just these lines that I'd like to draw your attention to:

    1.“My task was to lead all marketing committees in 26 member clubs, and ensure that no conflicts of interest take place in any Sports Club events.” You’ve got past-tense and present-tense references in the same sentence...I’m a little confused as to whether you are currently still serving as the Marketing Executive, or whether that was a past involvement.

    2.“My interest in mathematics has not stopped me from branching out into fields such as sourcing for sponsorships and going for the NUS Overseas College Programme in Bio Valley.” –You might want to consider re-wording this line a bit...because an interest in mathematics should not stop you from “branching out into fields...” in the first place; they could actually be quite complimentary.

    Yup, it's just those two lines that introduce a little ambiguity to your letter. Other than that, this really is a job well done! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Wyhow, great appplication letter you have there. You are able to link your relevant experience to how you can contribute to the MAS. But what was not apparent to me when I was reading was what are some of the qualities that you posses with reference to the experience you have. Maybe it could be useful to state them explicitly as that might catch the attention of the reader more. However, overall great letter.

    About language, no big issue but I am not sure about having the phrase " and the like" in such a formal application letter. Maybe you want to review that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vinod,
    Thanks for th
    e comments! About the department, their website doesn’t give a lot of details, but I’m looking for a job which requires me to negotiate with people, in this case, broker dealers, fund managers etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nanhai,

    I’ve edited my application letter. About the academic side of the letter, I expect other applicants to elaborate more about their academic qualifications. I’m trying to write a letter which would stand out among those applicants:)

    Wyhow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yuen May,

    Thanks for the constructive criticism! I’ve already edited the application letter.

    Wyhow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Xing Quan,

    Thanks for the comments, I’ve edited the letter, including “the like”.

    Wyhow

    ReplyDelete