Sunday, November 14, 2010

From Subang Jaya


I arrived in Subang airport on 2pm, 13 November 2010. Being at home gives me the chance to catch up on my reading while I prepare for my final examinations.

I just found out Singapore was an al-Qaeda target in 2002, 7 bomb trucks were supposed to be deployed to kill thousands of people near places frequented by Americans, Britons and Australians, other than their embassies. After reading Jane Corbin's al-Qaeda, I pondered about a career in journalism. This is one possible career path I would definitely consider in the future, investigating and putting facts together for a book.

Another book I've finished reading is Ken Robinson's The Element. One of the points that caught my attention was the sign that someone is in his/her Element, is that time will fly when he/she engages in his/her passion. I'll be testing whether I like investigating and putting facts together when I start writing about how entrepreneurs in India can help to combat climate change.

But first, I need to revise Introduction to Geometry. (I can't help but notice that any modules in NUS with the word introductory seem like booby traps, the content will get more difficult after Week 6)

$W?h0w$

4 comments:

  1. It's great that the two books that you just read have inspired you to explore the potential of a career in journalism. Your research background would serve you well in that regard.

    As for Al Qaeda's plans for Singapore, I was acutely aware of that after the fact. I was actually in Singapore in early 2002, and played a couple evenings worth of musical gigs in Clark Quay, at the blues/rock bar Crazy Elephant. Later I heard that Clark Quay was on the list of targets. Is that recounted in Corbin's book? If if if.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I should get one of those books to read. They seem interesting. Nevertheless, journalism is definitely one exciting career path, and you could really consider it. Study hard for exams too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brad,

    Are you still playing gigs today? I would like to watch one of your shows one day when I head to Clarke Quay.

    Yup, that fact is in her book. Sometimes it gives me the chills to think about the security we have, without which would result in a drastically different future.

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elgin,

    I'll be returning the books on 23 Nov, so you should be able to borrow them after that date, assuming no one else has reserved them.

    Good luck for your exams!

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete