Monday, November 8, 2010

Please Remember

Back in September 2005, 4 of my friends and I were dining at the USJ 9 Shakey’s Pizza branch. We talked about their newly formed band, and they were short of one vocalist; he had to drop out because of a heated argument with the others. They had two performances in two months, and they needed a vocalist quite urgently. I auditioned for the band the next day, although I had no musical background, and they told me that I was a baritone tenor. The practice sessions after that were downright rigorous. Now I would occasionally look back after my climb, and notice how much we’ve grown together after five years. Five of us are pursuing our degrees in Malaysia, me in Singapore, one in the United Kingdom, and another is Australia.

Likewise with this module, the interactions and group work resulted in new friendships being formed. I’ve learned that my resume (pre-Brad) was a mess. Other than that, I’ve also found out that “homely” is offensive. The blogging showed me that I have an interest in writing. The learning experience would’ve been ideal if stretched over 2 semesters, and better if there’s no bell curve to worry about. I’ve also had wonderful groupmates to work with; Nanhai and Xing Quan for the peer teaching, Guo Chen, Xiaoshi and Sylvester for the proposal and oral presentation. I’m also grateful to have Yuen May, Billet, Alicia, Shivam, Wenlue, Alvin, Elgin, Yanling, Vinod and Xi Xi as classmates. There will be a day when I’ll look back and reminisce about the good times we shared together.

Leann Rimes - Please Remember

$W?h0w$

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the concise final post, Wyhow. I'm glad that the bonding you've done in ES2007S strikes you as analogous to that you've done with good friends. So there must have been SOME interpersonal communication taking place. Where do you see the work we did taking you in the future, besides on that level?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wyhow,

    Why didn't you tell us you were a vocalist? Haha. What genre of songs do you mostly sing?

    I agree that this course would work best if it's stretched over 2 semesters. To me, the module covers a wide range of topics and we practically "rushed" through the entire syllabus. Most, if not all of these topics are realistic and important, and I feel that more time should be given to branch deeper into the content.

    Also, you mentioned about the bell-curve. I feel sometimes, the learning process is not as effective since students are only concerned about the ends and not the means. Oh well, this is Singapore's education for us.

    Hope you're having a blast in Msia studying! xD Best of luck!

    Alvin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Wyhow,

    I do agree with you that the small class size of this module has facilitated the bonding very well. It is nice to have worked with you in our peer teaching and thanks for your insightful suggestions. Also, thanks for your kindness for giving me a copy of your resume to help me improve better. Final is coming soon and all the best to your preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wyhow,

    A nice personal and nostalgic touch you have with your final post. I truly believe in a similar fashion to you that this module should be stretched over 2 semesters and grades should be done away with. It's also refreshing to know how blogging has ignited a passion to write within you. In fact I'm sure this is what the course coordinators were hoping for when they incorporated this segment into the module components. So kudos to that! Be sure to carry on with your posts and I'll be sure to comment on them every now and then, proving that this is by no means to an end. Finally you have been a wonderful classmate yoursef as well and hope to meet up soon enough after exams! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wyhow,

    I like the story telling approach that you adopt in your last post. You have definitely made an impact in this class. The small class size allow us to have a close interaction with one another and foster a stronger friendship. The friendship that we all have come up with is so valuable and that is what made us remember this module.

    I am really glad to have you as my classmate and all the best for your future.

    Cheers,
    Billet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brad,

    Thanks for everything you've taught. I'm considering going into environmental journalism, specifically sustainable development. I've still got a lot to learn though. Just a suggestion; perhaps CELC should have a module on journalism?

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alvin,

    I'm into country songs. Good luck for your exams too:)

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nanhai,

    Thanks for your comments. I actually think my updated resume, the one I used for the interview is a better version. Good luck for your finals:)

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vinod,

    Thanks! I'll also be reading you blog, I'm a fan of your writing. You've always taken a different approach in writing your blogs. Best of luck for your exams!

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Billet,

    It's something different to end the module, but I'll be blogging every now and then:)

    $W?h0w$

    ReplyDelete